Phenix Jewellery Pty Ltd (“Phenix”) is an organisation which collects and uses “personal information” but not “sensitive information” as defined under the Australian Privacy Act 1988 or the NZ Privacy Act 1993 (“the Act”).
The information is supplied to Phenix by insurance companies and or their agents or servants and collected for the purpose of Phenix’s business of insurance claim validation and replacement of jewellery (the primary purpose) or for a purpose which is related to the primary purpose and would in the reasonable opinion of the reasonable man be expected to collect or disclosed by Phenix (“the secondary purpose”).
The purpose of this document is to outline how we comply with our privacy obligations as required under the Privacy Principles set out in the Act.
As an organisation, one of our principal concerns is the privacy of our client Insurance Companies, their policy holders and our staff. We aim to ensure that:
- the privacy of each of these groups will be protected when accessing our services or visiting our premises;
- the personal information collected and retained in our records is correct and up-to-date; and
- any individual about whom Phenix has collected personal information can access their personal information for review on request.
Collection, use and disclosure of personal information
Phenix recognises that the personal information we collect is often of a confidential nature. We have adopted the highest privacy compliance standards to ensure such information is protected.
We may collect personal information regarding the policy holders of our client insurance companies and our staff and clients. Personal information collected may generally include:
- your name, title, address, email address and telephone number;
- details of your policy with your insurance company (where relevant);
- details of your jewellery assets;
- the name of any related agency or organisation to whom we may need to refer you, including in reports or other information provided by these organisations or agencies;
We may collect personal information about you:
- from your insurer or some other person, organisation or agency on your behalf; and
- directly from you
Where we collect personal information about you from another person or organisation, we will contact you with respect to that information. The information will usually be collected for the primary purpose, but if the information is collected for a secondary purpose we will take all reasonable steps to ensure you are aware of the reason why the information is being collected, how it will be used, and the names of any organisations or agencies to which we might disclose the information.
Personal information collected by us may be used or disclosed:
- for the primary purpose;
- as required for delivery of our services to you;
- as required or authorised by law; or
- for purposes which are directly related to the primary purpose of collection of the personal information such as for quality assurance, staff training and as may be required by our insurers.
If you do not provide the personal information requested, we may not be able to provide you with our services needed to assist you in the assessment, validation and/or replacement of your jewellery. You may also not receive assistance and services from other organisations such as your insurer to which you may otherwise be entitled.
We do not use or disclose personal information about you for direct marketing purposes unless you have given us explicit authority to do so.
Phenix will notify Insurer's and any authorities required by law of any alleged privacy incident or complaints as per our Service Provider's Agreement.
Other people's information which you provide to us
If you provide personal information to us about someone else (such as a family member, close friend, personal carer or insurance service provider) you must ensure that you are entitled to disclose that personal information to us.
You should take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual or organisation concerned is aware of the various matters detailed in this policy, including our identity, how to contact us, our purposes for collecting the information, our information disclosure practices, the individual's right to obtain access to the information and to have it corrected, and the consequences for the individual if the information is not provided.
Security and storage of personal information
We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that information about you is protected from misuse, loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, other than in accordance with this policy or the Act.
Your personal information may be stored either in hard copy or electronic form in our files and/or IT systems. We are required under our contractual arrangements with the Insurers to keep information for a minimum of 7 years from the date of last entry in our records.
Gaining access to information we hold about you
We will, on request, provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you unless there is an exception which applies under the Act, such as where we have a legal duty not to disclose the information or where it may be harmful to you to do so.
Your request to obtain access to your information will be dealt with in a reasonable time. We may recover from you our reasonable costs of providing you with access. If we refuse to provide you with access to the information, we will provide you with reasons for the refusal and inform you of any exceptions relied on under the Act.
Keeping your personal information up to date
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date whenever we collect or use it. If you think any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please contact us and, if we agree, we will take reasonable steps to correct the information or, if necessary, discuss alternative options that may be available to you.
Website privacy policies
We may collect contact information (such as e-mail addresses) for you and other individuals via our website. By using our website, you consent to us using your personal information collected:
- to monitor who is accessing the Phenix website or using services offered on the website;
- and to profile the type of people accessing the website.
We may preserve the content of any e-mail you send us if we believe we have a legal requirement to do so or are otherwise permitted to do so under the Act.
By using our internet site, you consent to your e-mail message content being monitored by us for trouble-shooting or maintenance purposes or if any form of e-mail abuse is suspected.
Personal information which we collect may be aggregated for analysis but in such circumstances, we would ensure that individuals remain anonymous.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small files of letters and numbers that are downloaded onto your computer or mobile or other handheld device when you access certain websites. Cookies allow a website to recognise a user’s device and help your browser navigate through the website by allowing you to log in automatically or remembering settings you selected during earlier visits (among other functions). Cookies do not harm your computer. If you would like to learn more about cookies in general you can visit www.allaboutcookies.org .
- for technical purposes essential for the operation of this website, such as keeping track of your current shopping session and enabling you to proceed to checkout and pay for products;
- to distinguish you from other users of this website, so we can remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the country you are in) when you return to visit this website and;
- to collect statistical information about how visitors use this website, so we can improve the way this website works and improve the user experience for future visitors, measure the success of competitions and campaigns.
How to contact us
If you wish to complain to us about a breach of your privacy as defined under the Act, access your own personal information held by us, correct any information held by us concerning your own personal information or find out more about how we deal with personal information, please contact:
The Privacy Officer
Phenix Jewellery Pty Ltd
PO Box 1396, Carindale, QLD, Australia 4152
phone: (07) 3106 7500
fax: (07) 3106 7550